I have several email accounts being popped on Outlook but I was not getting duplicate emails on all of those accounts. So that added to the confusion and frustration. After a lot of ‘googling’ and trying out various solutions, the following TWO solutions worked and now I’m not getting duplicate emails in Outlook anymore!
Note: The steps below are performed using Outlook 2010. Slight variations may be necessary for other Outlook versions.
Stop Duplicate Emails in Outlook: Don’t Leave A Copy of Messages on the Server
- From the File menu, click Account Settings and then click the Account Settings… Add and remove accounts… option.
- Double-click the email account from which you’re getting duplicate emails.
- Click More Settings.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Under Delivery, un-check or clear the option Leave a copy of messages on the server.
- Click OK.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Stop Duplicate Emails in Outlook: Remove Duplicate Rules!
At first, I thought I didn’t have to check my Outlook Rules since I didn’t add, remove or change anything anyway. But then, I remembered this: about a few weeks ago I copied my Outlook files and settings (including Rules!) to my laptop since I’d be traveling.
When I returned, I copied my Outlook files back to my PC and yep, that’s when I started getting duplicate emails in Outlook! So on to ensuring you don’t have multiple copies of the same rules in Outlook.
- From the Home tab, in the More group, click Rules.
- Select Manage Rules & Alerts.
- Under the E-mail Rules tab, go over the rules that you have and DELETE all copies of the same rules.
- Click OK.
With the above solutions, I’m no longer getting duplicate emails in Outlook. Try them and I hope you have the same luck!